Challenge


Challenge " Apply your knowledge of Newton's law of motion, momentum, and energy to design and construct a vehicle that will go as far as possible using an unbalanced force to create motion."

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day of Experiments

Up until today I had been leaning towards Design#1. It seems well the coolest, but after my experiment today my choice has changed. Today I did the simple drop a few Mentos into a bottle of Diet Coke experiment. Trying to save Coke and do as many experiments as possible I poured the soda into another bottle. The problem with that is all the gasses that make the reaction occurs are released when being poured. When I poured a small amount of Diet Coke into the bottle and then put Mentos into it the gasses where gone and no reaction occurred. After this happened I opened a new bottle of Diet Coke to make sure that I was understanding the problem and sure enough when I did the experiment in the undisturbed Coke it did exactly what the clips showed. I decided not to use Design#1 for two reasons. One: I would never be able to test my experiment on the actual bottle that I would use in the testing. Two: the amount of Diet Coke and Mentos I would need to do experiments and test would be too much and I would be wasting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment