Challenge


Challenge " Apply your knowledge of Newton's law of motion, momentum, and energy to design and construct a vehicle that will go as far as possible using an unbalanced force to create motion."

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reflection

                After testing my design and seeing other design be tested I would say that my design was fairly successful. The sling shot with the fishing line attached to it went 7 tiles. This so far seems to be faring well against the other competition but it will not be placing in the top two positions. Altering the design to make it within the rules was not my plan but it did not deter its performance. The uncoiling of the line seemed to slow it down a bit but it did do  the required distance. If I were to do it again I would do two things differently. I would first have supported the wheels more properly so that it would not have gone on an angled track which deducted from its total amount of tiles traveled. Secondly, I would have read the rules more carefully so that no last minute changes would have had to be done and also so that I could have planned out the way to attached the fishing line car so to not have it catch on the wheels multiple times and so that the line would not have kept getting tangled. The reasons for errors were based in three main points. The first was the way the sponges were glued together made it easy for them to deform under the pressure of the rubber band. The second is reason was the way that the shoot was balanced. When the rubber band was pulled back and the sides angled inwards it had to be set exactly right or it would go off spinning because the sides were a bit of a different length. The last reason for error was the last minute changes that had to be done. By not reading the directions over after designing my design I had to find a loophole quickly and it was not fully thought out. The fishing line was the source of error in this situation. To further investigate the challenge, I would test other models such as the balloon power design or the mouse trap design. I could also reevaluate my design and perfect the fishing line design.

No comments:

Post a Comment